mercoledì 7 dicembre 2016

The song of December: All I want for Christmas is You


Come "English song" di dicembre, Margherita ha scelto un brano tutto natalizio, relativamente recente, ma diventato velocemente  una delle colonne sonore del Natale di molti: "All I want for Christmas is You", di Mariah Carey.
Come sempre, abbiamo ascoltato più volte la canzone, specialmente nel primo video ufficiale e seguendo le  parole in un video "with lyrics".

Margherita ha poi riletto passo-passo e tradotto il testo per iscritto...

The song of December
All I want for Christmas is You
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is you
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need, and I
Don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you
I won't ask for much this Christmas
I won't even wish for snow, and I
I just wanna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake
To hear those magic reindeer click
'Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do?
Oh, Baby all I want for Christmas is you
All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me
The one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me quickly
I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just wanna see my baby
Standing right outside my door
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is you
All I want for Christmas is you, baby!



Poi, insieme, siamo andate a cercare e tradurre oralmente un po' di informazioni sulla cantante e sul brano, elaborandole da Wikipedia.en. 

Singer: Mariah Carey
  

Album: Merry Christmas

Who is Mariah Carey?
Mariah Carey (born March 27, 1969 or 1970) is an American singer, songwriter, record producer and actress. 
She rose to fame in 1990 with the release of "Vision of Love" from her eponymous debut album. In 1998, she was honored as the world's best-selling recording artist of the 1990s at the World Music Awards and subsequently named the best-selling female artist of the millennium in 2000.
Carey parted with Columbia in 2000, and signed a record-breaking $100 million recording contract with Virgin Records America. In the weeks prior to the release of her film Glitter and its accompanying soundtrack in 2001, she suffered a physical and emotional breakdown and was hospitalized for severe exhaustion. The project was poorly received and led to a general decline in the singer's career. After a relatively unsuccessful period, she returned to the top of music charts in 2005.
Throughout her career, Carey has sold more than 200 million records worldwide, making her one of the best-selling music artists of all time. 
She is the third-best-selling female artist in the United States. Carey has won a lot of awards and has been consistently credited with inspiring a generation of singers. Referred to as the "songbird supreme" by the Guinness World Records, she is famed for her five-octave vocal range, power, melismatic style and signature use of the whistle register.

The song
"All I Want for Christmas Is You" is a song performed by Mariah Carey. She co-wrote and co-produced the song with Walter Afanasieff. Columbia Records released it on November 1, 1994 as the lead single from her first holiday album and fourth studio album, Merry Christmas
"All I Want for Christmas Is You" is a love song: the song's lyrics declare that the narrator does not care about Christmas presents or lights; all she wants for Christmas is to be with her lover. 
Following the success of the singer's 1993 career best-selling album Music Box, Carey and her management at Columbia Records began devising ideas and strategies for subsequent projects.  During initial discussions regarding the thought of doing a Christmas-themed album with Carey and her writing partner, Walter Afanasieff, fear arose that it wasn't commercially expedient or wise to release holiday music at the peak of one's career, as it was more often equated with a release towards the end of a musician's career. Ultimately, with Carey's then-husband, Tommy Mottola, (head of Columbia's parent label Sony Music Entertainment) persistence and Carey's initiative to be a "risk-taker" as, the song and its parent album, Merry Christmas, began taking form in early-mid 1994. Recording for the album began in June, while the Carey-Afanasieff songwriting duo penned "All I Want for Christmas Is You" in late-August. Often referencing herself a festive person and demonstrating a usual penchant for her love of all things Christmas, Carey began decorating the home she shared with Mottola in upstate New York (which also came equipped with a personal recording studio) with Christmas ornaments and other holiday-inspired trinkets. In doing so, Carey felt she could capture the essence and spirit of what she was singing and make her vocal performance more emotive and authentic. The songwriting pair carved out the chords, structure and melody for the song in just a quarter of an hour.
Carey went into detail on what writing and recording the song and album meant for her: "I'm a very festive person and I love the holidays. I've sung Christmas songs since I was a little girl. I used to go Christmas caroling. When it came to the album, we had to have a nice balance between standard Christian hymns and fun songs. It was definitely a priority for me to write at least a few new songs, but for the most part people really want to hear the standards at Christmas time, no matter how good a new song is."
In an interview, Carey described the song as "fun", and continued: "It's very traditional, old-fashioned Christmas. It's very retro, kind of '60s." 
The song incorporates various instruments: piano, drums, violin, oboe, flute, bell chimes, bass effect, and cowbells. 
Two music videos were commissioned for the song: the song's primary music video features grainy home-movie-style footage of Carey, her dogs and family during the holiday season, as well as Carey dressed in a Santa suit on a snowy mountainside. Carey's then-husband Tommy Mottola makes a cameo appearance as Santa Claus, bringing Carey a gift and leaving on a red sleigh. 

The second video was filmed in black and white format, and represents Carey dressed in 1960s style. 
Carey has performed "All I Want for Christmas Is You" in a slew of live television appearances and tours throughout her career. In 2010, Carey re-recorded the song for her second holiday album, Merry Christmas II You, titled "All I Want for Christmas Is You (Extra Festive)". Carey also re-recorded the song as a duet with Canadian singer Justin Bieber. The song has also been covered by many artists over the years.

In the years since its original release, "All I Want for Christmas Is You" has been critically lauded and has become established as a Christmas standard; and continues to surge in popularity each holiday season. The song was commercially successful, topping the charts in Hungary while reaching number two in Australia, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United Kingdom, and the top 10 in several other countries. The Daily Telegraph hailed "All I Want for Christmas Is You" as the most popular and most played Christmas song of the decade in the United Kingdom.
With global sales of over 14 million copies, the song remains Carey's biggest international success and the 11th best-selling single of all time. As of 2013, the song was reported to have earned $50 million in royalties.

Intanto, Margherita e Mariangela - questo mese, la canzone è stata proposta anche a lei, data la semplicità del testo - sono andate a giocare con le parole della canzone su Lyricstraining:

Infine, Margherita ha rappresentato con un disegno il brano.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...